Saturday 12 September 2009

On The Big One

Eight years ago today I got in the car to go to work as usual (it was a Wednesday, not a Saturday as it is this year). I’d had a very usual sort of morning: drag myself out of bed, drink a glass of orange juice, sit in the bath and cry for half an hour, nibble a bowl of cereal, then get into the car. Rather different from my morning routine today, but that was how it used to be.

I left my flat, drove the 20 or so minute journey to work, and pulled into the car park of the large comprehensive school in the London borough of Haringey, where I was Head of Music. All seemed as usual until I tried to get out of the car.

My legs refused to budge. I couldn’t move. I called the school office from my mobile phone and told them I wasn’t feeling too well. I then drove straight to the doctor’s surgery. After a tearful appointment with a very unsympathetic doctor, I headed for home with a medical certificate and a stash of antidepressants.

I then went to bed. I didn’t get up again for two weeks.

In fact, the next date after that time that means anything to me is November 5th, when I was visited by an old friend, the same old friend who would eventually become my husband. He had to visit me at my flat because at that time I was still leaving the house only to go to my psychiatrist appointments.

The weeks between September 12th and November 5th are largely lost to me. I know that the world was full of turmoil, and I suspect I watched a lot of news (in those days I had digital TV and was in the habit of leaving the rolling news on 24 hours a day). I know that I still wasn’t driving again in November, and that I gave the car keys to a friend who had the car while I was too ill to use it. I know that I saw my psychiatrist, and I have vague memories of walking through Grovelands Park to visit the hospital from time to time. I remember huge pain in my head. I remember one night that nearly didn’t have a following morning (and am thankful to this day that the main effect a large amount of alcohol has on me is to induce sleep). I know that I must have checked my e-mail at some point, because I read a very significant e-mail that resulted in the meeting on November 5th.

Almost all other detail is lost, which is strange, because I usually have a reasonably good memory. I do remember the date though, every year, and not just because of the events unfolding in the world at the time. Eight years ago today was the breakdown that I now call “The Big One”, where I went from functioning human being to complete wreck in the space of a few hours.

I can hardly believe how much life has now changed, how much I have learnt about myself, and how my plans and ambitions have changed since that day. One thing never changes though – every year on 12th September I think about the years I nearly didn’t have as a result of what happened back in 2001, and every year the sun shines just a little bit brighter that day as I consider the wonderful things I would have missed out on if things had turned out differently.

10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what it must've been like for you. A terrible time I'm sure, but conflict and hard times are the things that shape who we are and build character. I'm glad you're fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very inspiring and amazingly, you deal with it so well....thank you for sharing!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know and understand where you've been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments. As those of you who've read "On Being a Bit Bonkers" (July) know, I'm not out of the woods by any means, but things are SO much better now than they were then. Having support really helps. Also glad I was able to help a couple of others (who didn't comment here) who mailed me about their own depression problems as a result of reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post bought a lump to my throat. You really do have a book in you, y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I'll start writing then! You're so encouraging Mazza - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so much stronger than you realise - and an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hardest part is sometimes in the surviving - this made me cry. A world without FB ratty pics would be a much poorer place for us here in the Snell-Pym household!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GSEB STD 12 Previous Year Question Paper 2022 GSEB STD 12 Previous Year Question Paper 2022 GSEB STD 12 Previous According to the most recent warnings from the Gujarat School Education Board GSEB, the Senior Secondary STD 12 Exams, 2022 will be led from 2022. If you have not yet begun changing all of your ideas, now is the time to start. Rehearsing GSEB Question Paper 12th STD Whatever Number Gujarat Board 12th Model Paper 2022 as Prudent is one of the best ways to prepare for your STD 12 tests. As a result, we've gathered a variety of GSEB STD 12 Sample Papers that can help you perform better in your GSEB STD 12 Exams in 2022. Students in the 12th grade can get GSEB 12th Question Papers in PDF format by clicking here.

    ReplyDelete